Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Great Alaska Adventure Begins

Day 1 - I'm calling this day 1 because yesterday was a travel day.  After a long day and long flight, I had a meal with Rachel Elmore and got checked into my lodging in Girdwood.  I stayed up as late as I could which was only 9:00 here.  It was still light out.  Of course at home it was 1:00am and I had gotten up at 5:30am.  I slept as long as I could but the clock only read 5:15am when I could sleep no longer.  I had quiet time, made coffee and worked a little on my book.  Hopefully, I'll have much more to say about that later.  Then I was thrilled to find that ESPN was carrying the Ohio State v. Akron game.  Wow, football at 8:00am!  Cool!!  I have plans to go with Jesse Elmore and do some fishing later today.  I did not have the chance to take pictures yet but I hope to soon. 

My reflections on Alaska so far.
 - Obviously it is beautiful.  There are places where the mountains rise right up at the water's edge.  The tide was going out in the Turnagain Arm as I made my way from Anchorage to Girdwood leaving a lot of mud and bare places but still it is beautiful.
  - There is so much to see.  I wanted to take a walk and take pictures today but I knew Jesse was coming and I needed to be ready.  Still that allowed me to watch at least the first half of the Buckeyes game!
   - It has been overcast the whole time I have been here so I am wanting to take pictures when the sun is out.  There will be so much to photograph!  I can't wait to get started. 
   - The fishing is reputed to be legendary here so I am real excited to get going with that as well.
   - It is expensive here!  I went to a small grocery store here in Girdwood and bought 2 pounds of coffee (1 regular and 1 decaf), creamer, Splenda, and a 12 pack of diet 7-Up.  I was astonished when the girl at checkout said, "That will be $43.31!"  REALLY?  Yep.  All shopping will be done in Anchorage from here on. 

So keep up with me.  I don't know if I can blog again tonight but if I can, I will give a fishing report.  Be watching!!

No comments: