Monday, September 5, 2011

Day 4




Today was another rainy one.  The wet stuff fell off and on all day.  But it was still a great day.  I started off by checking the creek that runs through Girdwood - Glacier Creek - to see if it was fishable.  It was!  I actually saw a trout at the side of the stream.  It wanted nothing to do with the spinner I tried to get beside it but it was definitely there.  I only fished a short time there, caught nothing and got very wet in so doing.  So I decided to go to Anchorage to get some food for my dinners.  I stopped by Walmart and a sporting goods store to pick up some things for fishing.  While in Anchorage, Rachel Elmore called and asked me if I wanted to go with her and Jesse to the Alaska State fair.  I couldn't turn that opportunity down.  The fair is in a town about 40 miles north of Anchorage.  It was no larger than the Fairfield County fair I grew up going to in Ohio  but it was engaging.  I snacked on some salmon quesadillas and Rachel and Jesse found Reindeer hot dogs.  Food is always the best thing at the fair.  We also saw a logging show.  It was entertaining but what was interesting is that the lady who was the emcee was Tina from Survivor Panama.  I thought she looked familiar but never would have made the connection.  On my way back to Girdwood I stopped at Bird Creek.  It is a much smaller water way than the Kenai River but still similar in make up and color and very swift.  The water was very murky and I caught nothing.  I met to locals as they walked downstream toward the mouth of the river.  They advised me not to waste my time walking on upstream, they had been there and caught nothing and they encountered rough conditions.  Their language was a bit salty but they were nice so I took their advice.  I put the fishing rod up and decided to make the hike up to the top of Bird Ridge.  The trail was rated moderate to difficult so I was not sure that I would make it to the top before turning back but I did.  There were some panoramic views of the Turnagain Arm and the mountains that surround it.  Of course the pictures can't do it justice but you will get the idea.  I'm sure it would have been even more beautiful on a clear, sunny day but that was not to be.  I am not yet sure what I am going to do tomorrow.  I'm in improvising mode for sure.  Enjoy the pictures.

No comments: