Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 7 - In Alaska




The rain finally gave up today.  It was a very nice sunny day with temperatures in the 60's.  The day started out with writing but I was anxious to get out and see the sights.  I was able to ride the tram today that goes from the Alyeska Ski Resort here in Girdwood to the top of the mountain.  My chalet is in the lower level of a couple's home.  The lady of the house, Laura works at the Resort and was kind enough to get  me an employee's ticket to ride the tram (Thank you Laura!).  The sights were breath taking (as was the hike on up to the top of the mountain!).  I was able to take some great pictures of the mountains surrounding Girdwood and the Turnagain arm.  Some of the mountains had snow covered peaks already.  They will start getting regular snow here soon. When I came 'down from the mountain' I was thrilled to catch a little of the first NFL game of the season.  The Packers beat the Saints.  I didn't get to see much of it but it is good to be in football season again.  I had to leave because I had dinner plans to eat with Roger and Erin Full.  The Fulls moved to Anchorage from Cincinnati 6 years ago.  Since then they have added Levi, now an active, outgoing, precious little 2 year old boy.  We had pizza and caught up on each other's life.  It was really great to see them.  On the way back to Girdwood from their house I saw my first moose!  It was so exciting!  I saw him in a little field off of the highway.  I did a turn around as quickly as possible and pulled into a little parking area near where the moose was.  I was able to take several pictures of the young bull and a video of him raking a little tree with his (relatively) small horns.  After leaving him I also saw a wild sheep on the side of a sheer cliff over the road.  There was a place to pull off near it as well.  I got some pictures and moved on.  When I turned onto the road leading up into Girdwood, I saw several cars stopped at the side of the road. As I began to pass I saw what had happened.  One of the cars had hit a young moose.  It was lying in the road, trying to get up but its broken legs would not allow it.  The mother moose was standing there by it as if to try to help.  The car only had minor damage and the man driving was not injured - a lucky thing because alot of drivers are killed in moose-car accidents.  Moose are just the right (wrong?) height that when a car hits their legs they fall into the windshield often killing a driver. He asked me to call the authorities which I did. A crowd assembled but the female moose stayed right by her stricken young. The young moose was able to drag itself off of the road in a scene that could only be described as horrible and pitiful.  Eventually, a state trooper came to make a report for the driver and call charities to come and get the moose.  Charities process the animal and supply the meat to food banks and homeless shelters.  It was amazing to be so close to those massive animals. God's creation continues to amaze!  Tomorrow I plan to go with Jesse Elmore back down to Kenai.  We hope to do some fishing along the way and then go to Homer and go after halibut in the ocean on Saturday. Should be fun!

No comments: